Serengeti and Silverbacks:
Best of Tanzania and Rwanda
13 Days in Northern Tanzania and Rwanda
This active and luxury fly-in itinerary combines the best of northern Tanzania with a direct connection to Rwanda for the opportunity to trek for mountain gorillas. Throughout this adventure, you’ll stay at exclusive bushcamps with professional naturalist guides leading the way on game drives and walks in some of the wildest places in Africa.
Starting in Tarangire National Park, you’ll be based out of Oliver’s Camp a prime location to explore the far southern reaches of the park on foot and by 4x4 safari vehicle. Set on the remote northern rim of the Ngorongoro Crater, you’ll use a private access road into this wildlife-filled caldera arriving on the crater floor hours ahead of the bulk of visitors using the main entrance. With three nights in the geodesic domes of The Highlands, there’s plenty of time for hiking the nearby Olmoti or Empakai craters with your guide or visiting an authentic Maasai village.
The vast plains of the Serengeti beckon next, one of the largest intact ecosystems in the world and teeming with big game. You’ll be in the best position to witness the Great Migration an annual pilgrimage of millions of wildebeests and hundreds of thousands of zebra in addition to the resident predators like lion, leopard and cheetah. Flying directly from the Serengeti to Rwanda, you’ll spend two days trekking in Volcanoes National Park for the highly endangered silverback mountain gorillas. We plan two hikes to put you in the best position for dramatic photos and up-close videos of these amazing creatures, one of the rarest great apes in the world. Return each night to your exclusive luxury lodge.
|From $14,750 per person
|From $18,795 per person
Gorilla Trekking Permits are an additional $1,500 per person per day of trekking.
Serengeti National Park
Gorilla Trekking in Rwanda
Tarangire Walking Safari
Low: March - April
November to Mid December
High (Best): June - October
Day 1 - Arrive Arusha
On arrival, you’ll be warmly welcomed to Tanzania and transferred to your accommodation on the lower slopes of Mt. Meru. This working coffee plantation is the perfect place to shake off the jet lag and get ready for your adventures ahead. Overnight at Arusha Coffee Lodge.
- Day 2 - Tarangire National Park
- Day 3 - Tarangire National Park
- Day 4 - Tarangire to Ngorongoro
- Day 5 - Ngorongoro Crater
- Day 6 - Ngorongoro Highlands
- Days 7-9 - Serengeti National Park
- Day 10 - Kigali, Rwanda
- Day 11 - Kigali Tour then Volcanoes National Park
- Day 12 - Trekking for Gorillas
- Day 13 - Gorilla or Golden Monkey Trekking; Departure
Lodges and Camps For This Adventure:
Arusha Coffee Lodge
Sayari Camp (upgrade option)
Sabyinyo Silverback Lodge
- Moraway Adventures travel consultation and pre-departure services
- English speaking naturalist guides
- Internal flights: Arusha-Tarangire-Manyara-Serengeti-Rwanda
- 12-nights accommodation
- Meals starting with Breakfast Day 2 and ending with Lunch Day 13
- Local brand drinks (except in Arusha)
- Shared game drives, walks, hikes, village visit
- All park fees, guide fees, government levies and conservation fees
- International airfare into Arusha-Kilimajaro, Tanzania and out of Kigali, Rwanda
- Tanzania and Rwanda visas (available prior to arrival)
- Tips and gratuities
- Personal expenses for extra services, optional activities, or changes in your itinerary for reasons beyond our control
- Mandatory travel insurance for trip cancellation, medical services, or evacuation
- Premium wines and spirits
All prices based on 2 adults sharing. Single supplements apply for solo travelers - call for details. Flight options form the Serengeti to Kigali may vary.
Gorilla permits purchased separately at $1,500 per person per day of trekking. Gorilla treks are conducted in small groups organized by the Ugandan Wildlife Authority. Large groups of travelers may be split up and small groups may be combined with others.
Golden Monkey permits may be purchased in lieu of 2nd day of gorilla trekking for $100 per person per trek.
Children age 15 or above are welcome to trek for gorillas.
Luggage restrictions apply - see pre-departure info for details.
Reach out and talk with someone who has been there.
and make your dream a reality!