Salkantay Lodge to Lodge Trek
13 Active Days Exploring the Machu Picchu Region
The Salkantay Trek is an active, cultural, and spiritual journey along ancient Incan trails through the high Andes en route to the legendary ruins of Machu Picchu. This spectacular high Andean trek winds through the Cordillera Vilcabamba, under towering glaciated peaks dominated by Mt. Salkantay at 20,574 feet, the sacred mountain god (Apu) of the local Quechua communities you will encounter along the way.
Joyful encounters on this adventure include a side hike to the azure waters of Lake Humantay and a traditional Pachamama ceremony where an Andean priest will make an offering of gratitude to the high-mountain Apus. At the lodges, you will have the opportunity to learn about the rich culture and cuisine of the region, from participating in a pachamanca feast to visiting a local coffee plantation.
This less-traveled route is more spectacular than the classic Inca Trail and instead of a tent, you'll stay in the style and comfort of well-appointed mountain lodges with private rooms, exceptional international and Peruvian cuisine as well as hot tubs, and a cozy fireplace. Each group is limited to just 12 trekkers, ensuring an exclusive and intimate experience.
With two days to explore Machu Picchu, you'll have ample time to enter the citadel via the Sun Gate, scale Huayna Picchu for a different perspective on the ruins, and walk the entirety of the complex with your expert, local guides. Explorations of the Sacred Valley and Cusco round out your experience.
Cost per person:
|2 guests||4+ guests|
|Mid Season||From $5,495||From $5,195|
|High Season||From $6,595||From $6,295|
Less Traveled Route to Machu Picchu
2 Days at Machu Picchu
Mountain Lodges with Jacuzzis
Up Close Glacier Views
High (Best): April - October
Mid (Okay): March and November
Classic, Family, Cultural, Active
Day 1 - Arrive Lima
Welcome to Peru! Arrive Lima and transfer to the Wyndham Airport Hotel located adjacent to the terminal.
- Days 2-3 Cusco
- Day 4 - Sorayampa to Salkantay Lodge
- Day 5 - Lake Humantay
- Day 6 - Salkantay Pass at 15,213'
- Day 7 - Colcapampa Valley
- Day 8 - Santa Teresa Valley
- Day 9 - Llactapata Ruins and Aguas Calientes
- Day 10 - Inca Trail to Sun Gate and Machu Picchu
- Day 11 - Machu Picchu and Huayna Picchu
- Day 12 - Sacred Valley, Moray and Maras
- Day 13 - Departure
Lodges and Hotels For This Adventure:
Wyndham Costa Del Sol Lima
Machu Picchu Pueblo
- Moraway Adventures travel consultation and pre-departure services
- English speaking guides (bilingual)
- Airport meet and greets and transfers
- 12-nights accommodation
- Breakfast every day starting on day 2, Lunch on days 2-12, Dinner on days 4-10
- All beverages including soft drinks and house beer, wine and spirits while trekking on days 4-9
- Filtered water at all lodges
- Wifi throughout
- All park fees, government levies, conservation fees
- International airfare into and out of Cusco, Peru (via Lima)
- Tips and gratuities
- Personal expenses for extra services, optional activities, or changes in your itinerary for reasons beyond our control
- Mandatory travel insurance for trip cancellation, medical services, or evacuation
- Massage service
- Lunch on day 2, dinner on days 3, 11 and 12
- Any necessary COVID testing
All prices based on 2 adults sharing. Single supplements apply for solo travelers - call for details. Private guides may be possible, inquire for details. This trek and itinerary not suitable for children under 12.
Luggage restrictions apply - see pre-departure info for details.
Reach out and talk with someone who has been there.
and make your dream a reality!